The stove is in and better yet, seems to be working! Its been a long journey for this old stove just since I’ve had it. After lots and lots and lots of looking and e-mailing and more looking I found this Chambers model C based on a tip from a friend of my uncle’s. We took a ride down to Avon where the stove was to investigate. After some price negotiations. I purchased the stove and had a delivery date set for after I closed on IBB. About a week after move in. A box van delivered the stove to my front porch where it sat under a moving blanket for a couple of months.
According to the internet this stove dates from the early 50s. The Chambers stove has a bunch of really great features. Like a “well” for making chili and soups, a stove top griddle, three large burners, a regular oven and a warming oven. According to the manual, when you use the oven you can turn off the gas after a while and the oven will continue to cook because it is so well insulated with cast iron.
After painting the kitchen and laying the new floor I was finally ready to deal with the stove. That was until I broke the gas line. While the floor installation was in progress I still had the old stove hooked up in the kitchen but thought that it was leaking, so whenever it was not in use I shut off the gas in the basement, just to be safe. When I needed to use the stove I went to turn on the gas, the last time I did this I broke the handle off the pipe and the gas was then permanently shut off. Bummer. So my dad and grandpa came out to fix it, which they did in a jiffy.
After they left there was still some work to be done replacing a gas line in the stove and connecting it to the main line. I know this sounds really intense, but I really didn’t know anything about any of this stuff and my dad gave me really clear easy to follow instructions which made this step really easy. After I hooked up the stove I tested for leaks with soapy water and then tried to light the pilot lights. No dice.
After though research on the internet I learned how to adjust the pilot light with a screw in the warming oven and then we were in business. It seems like the previous owner my have always had the pilots shut off and then always lit her burners with a match, which I’m thinking might be a better idea so I don’t have to worry about the pilot blowing out and it will save gas.
So now I just need replace the light bulb in the backsplash, remove the carpet scrap from underneath and do a little more cleaning inside the oven and on the knobs and I think we will be in good shape.